ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER



» News

No decision yet on Nato supply lines: Gilani

Publication Date : 18-05-2012

 

The Pakistani prime minister said yesterday the country has yet to decide on the issue of restoring ground supply lines to Nato troops in Afghanistan; however, a ecision would be announced after talks between different ministries and officials.

“We have directed the ministries and departments concerned to conclude the process as soon as possible,” Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani told reporters on Thursday after attending an event in Islamabad.

The final decision would depend on the outcome of ongoing talks, said the premier.

Moreover, the prime minister said that the invitation by Nato sent to President Asif Ali Zardari to attend the Chicago summit was an "unconditional" one.

Meanwhile, in a statement also on Thursday, the Foreign Office said that a final decision on reopening the routes will be taken in the best national interest of the country.

Pakistan has engaged with United States to resolve all pending issues, said Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Ali Khan, adding that the government would abide by the recommendations of the parliament both “in letter and spirit”.

Pakistan closed its border to Nato supplies in November last year protesting American airstrikes that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at the Salala checkpost near the Pak-Afghan border.

The government is likely to face domestic backlash once the supplies resume, partly because the Obama administration refused to apologise for last year’s attack and stop drone strikes in the country as demanded by Pakistan’s parliament.

Religious leaders on Thursday threatened to block the supply route if it does reopen, but it’s unclear how successful they would be.

 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube