ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER

» News

'Yolanda' toll breaches 6,000

Publication Date : 14-12-2013

 

The government’s official death toll from Supertyphoon Yolanda (international name: Haiyan) has breached 6,000 after 27 additional fatalities were reported yesterday on top of the nearly 1,800 people missing.

In its latest report, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said there were 6,009 killed from Yolanda, the strongest typhoon to make landfall, which pummeled Eastern Visayas and other neighboring regions on November 8.

Maj. Reynaldo Balido Jr., spokesperson for the NDRRMC, said at least 20 bodies were being found daily under debris in the hardest-hit city of Tacloban. Overnight, 27 deaths were added to the toll.

The homes of more than 16 million people were either flattened or damaged, and officials say rebuilding will take at least three years.
Of the 6,009 fatalities, 5,655 were from Eastern Visayas.

In Leyte province, of the 5,160 dead, 2,394 were unidentified bodies from Tacloban City; 1,252 unidentified from Tanauan town, and 1,089 unidentified from Palo town.

In Samar province, 224 were killed, 82 of whom were unidentified from Basey town.

In Eastern Samar, 265 were killed, 88 of whom were unidentified.

In Iloilo province, of the 135 killed, 23 were unidentified in Estancia and had been buried in a mass grave at the public cemetery.

In Capiz province, 86 were killed while 73 died in Cebu province, eight of whom had not been identified.

Fatalities were also reported in the provinces of Aklan (14), Antique (13), Biliran (6); Negros Occidental (2); Bohol, (1); Zamboanga City, (1), and Surigao del Sur (1).

 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube