ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Tepco to scrap Fukushima Nos. 5, 6 reactors
Publication Date : 30-09-2013
In an interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun, Tepco president says the two reactors will never again be used for power generation
Tokyo Electric Power Co. President Naomi Hirose revealed in an interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun on Saturday the company’s plans to decommission the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors at its Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.
In the interview, Hirose said the two reactors will never again be used for power generation.
The permanent shutdown of the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors was a demand made to the company by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to speed up the decommissioning work of the plant’s crippled Nos. 1-4 reactors.
As a result, all six reactors at the plant will be decommissioned.
“In absolutely no way am I considering using them [Nos. 5 and 6 reactors] as power plants,” Hirose said.
Afterward, he added: “It’s impossible to decommission them right now [because of the need to focus on the Nos. 1-4 reactors]. I’m thinking about how they [the sites of Nos. 5 and 6 reactors] can be used for the Nos. 1-4 reactors. A promising idea is to use them as training facilities.”
Tepco filed documents to decommission the Nos. 1-4 reactors based on the Electric Utility Law in March last year. The decision to scrap all four reactors was finalised the following month.
The Nos. 5 and 6 reactors were not running at the time of the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011 as they were undergoing regular inspections. They have not been restarted.
As for the demand by Fukushima Prefecture and others to decommission all four reactors at TEPCO’s Fukushima No. 2 plant, Hirose merely said, “I think we should make a decision after taking many factors into consideration, such as the role of nuclear power in Japan and the feelings of prefectural residents,” he said.