ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Sulu sultan's brother says shots fired at them
Publication Date : 01-03-2013
Malaysian security forces today started firing at a group of Filipinos holed up in a village in Sabah, the brother of Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III claimed.
In an interview with radio dzBB at about 10am on Friday, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, the leader of the group in Sabah, said they were being shot at and had to "defend" themselves.
"Biglang pumasok sa amin (They suddenly came in), we had to defend ourselves," Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said.
Asked what time the Malaysian forces moved in, he said: "Oras na ito (at this time)."
Sounds of shots were heard in the background while the interview was being conducted. The interview was then cut off.
In a second interview with the radio station, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said he had received reports that some of his men were wounded and added that there will be no retreat or call for a ceasefire.
"Meron na (There have been casualties)," he said in an interview when asked if some of his men had been wounded, several moments after a first interview was cut off.
When asked if there were members of the Malaysian police who were wounded, he said: "Ewan ko (I don't know)."
Shots were still heard in the background when the second interview was being carried out. Asked about his immediate plans, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram said: "Lalaban (we'll still fight)." He said he himself was trading shots with the Malaysian forces.
"Tuloy pa rin (The fight will continue)," he added.
When asked if he would call a ceasefire, he said, "Sino mag-ceasefire? Sila mag-ceasefire (Who'll call a ceasefire? They should be the ones to do so)."
However, the Malaysian authorities have not confirm whether there was any shooting in Lahad Datu.