ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Scores hurt in Philippine navy, rebels clash
Publication Date : 09-09-2013
A Philippine navy patrol clashed early Monday with suspected Muslim rebels aboard several boats off southern Zamboanga city in a fierce clash that killed one naval special forces member and wounded several others, military officials said.
The navy men clashed with about 100 suspected Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels, who were on board a large motorboat and eight smaller vessels off Rio Hondo, a crowded Muslim community in the port city of Zamboanga, southern Philippines military spokesman Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala said.
The pre-dawn clash later spilled into Rio Hondo as people slept, prompting scores of residents to flee, Zagala said. Reinforcement troops and police have been deployed to help secure Rio Hondo, which is located near the downtown area of Zamboanga, a bustling trading hub in the south.
But Police Chief Superintendent Juanito Vano Jr., Region IX police director, said he could not confirm yet the number of fatalities though he said there were four police officers who were slightly wounded.
At least 20 heavily armed men entered Barangay (village) Sta. Catalina using civilians as human shield, Vano said.
He said rebels held hostage 10 to 15 civilians, but noted that authorities were now trying to contain the group inside the village.
“Hopefully we will be able to get the civilians and engage them properly,” Vano said in a radio interview, adding that negotiations were ongoing.
Prior to the encounter, which the Region IX Tactical Operations centre said started between 4am to 5am. Vano said several uniformed MNLF members were arrested after they were seen carrying their firearms.
“They are not allowed to do that in Zamboanga City. They are not supposed to be here with their firearms and uniforms,” Vano said.
Asked if the group didn’t coordinate their entry with authorities, Vano said the group did not have to make any coordination since they are not allowed in the area to start with.
Radyo Inquirer 990AM reported that the gunfight had forced the suspension of classes and work in the city. The same report was posted by the Philippine Information Agency – Region 9 on Twitter.
“Gunfight continues to frighten Zamboanga City residents as MNLF and government [troops] exchanged gun fire,” PIA-Region 9 said on its Twitter post.
“MNLF has penetrated the city specifically in the areas of Talon-Talon, Rio Hondo and Mariki. According to Bong Simbajon of Radyo Agong, MNLF penetrated the city 4:00 this morning bringing heavy firearms and explosives,” it further said.
PIA – Region 9 said the gunfight had prompted Mayor Maria Isabelle “Beng” Climaco to announce the suspension of classes in all levels, private and public, in the city. Work has also been suspended.
“Authorities are collaborating efforts to resolve the situation. Public is advised to remain calm and sober but alert and vigilant and report anything unusual to police, telephone number 9915656 or to the nearest police station. Mayor Climaco is convening the Crisis Management Committee to assess the situation,” the Twitter post added.
US counterterrorism forces that have been providing training to Filipino troops for years are based in a Philippine military camp in Zamboanga city but officials said the skirmishes have been confined so far to Rio Hondo.
The Moro group signed a 1996 peace accord with the government but many of its fighters held on to their arms and accused officials of reneging on a promise to develop an autonomous region for minority Muslims in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.
With reports from AP