ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Sabah chief minister: Stop sultanate rumours
Publication Date : 21-02-2013
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman of Malaysia's Sabah has called on everyone to stop spreading rumours as the authorities try their best resolve the stand-off with followers of the Sulu Sultanate in Lahad Datu.
He said rumours would only lead to uneasiness and disturbance.
"Everyone and I mean everyone of us should exercise a bit more responsibility,” he said after a briefing of the situation in Kampung Tanduo by state Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib on Thursday.
Some 150 armed men led by Raja Azzimudie Kiram, a brother of Sultan Jamallul Kiram III, had occupied the remote village, some 160kms from Lahad Datu town, since February 9.
The group had demanded to be recognised as the Royal Sultanate of Sulu Army and the Suluk community in Sabah not be deported to Southern Philippines.
Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk V K Liew said there was no basis to the group's demands.
"Based on historical fact, the Sulu Sultanate ceased to exist since the 1930s when the Philippines became a republic," said Liew, a lawyer and the Liberal Democratic Party president.
"In this respect, the question of demand does not arise at all as the dynasty has been clearly disbanded," he said in adding that the government should be allowed to resolve the matter peacefully.
In Manila, Philippines media reported that President Benigno Aquino's officials had been dispatched to convince Jamallul Kiram to recall his followers from Sabah.
Cabinet officials were quoted as saying that Jamallul Kiram, now undergoing dialysis treatment at a Manila hospital, and his other brother, Bantilan Esmail Kiram II, must make a decision by Friday.
The media also reported that Malaysia had given the group a deadline to leave or be deported.