ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Pyongyang accepts Seoul’s proposal for talks over family reunions
Publication Date : 19-08-2013
North proposes talks over Geumgang tours on Thursday
Pyongyang on Sunday accepted Seoul’s proposal for talks to arrange the first reunions of separated families in nearly three years around Korean Thanksgiving next month in another sign of a thaw in their relations.
Positively evaluating the North’s acceptance, Seoul requested that the talks be held at the Peace House on the South’s side of Panmunjeom as initially proposed. Pyongyang said it wanted to hold the meeting at Mount Geumgang so that Seoul officials could take stock of facilities for the family reunions.
In a statement issued by the North’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, Pyongyang said that it would discuss the issue of holding family reunions in Mount Geumgang on the occasion of the Chuseok holiday that falls on September 19.
Carried by the North’s official Korean Central News Agency, the statement also said video-linked reunions would occur in time for the anniversary of the October 4 inter-Korean declaration signed in 2007 during a summit in Pyongyang between late leaders Roh Moo-hyun and Kim Jong-il.
The communist state also proposed holding working-level talks over the resumption of long-stalled tours to the North Korean mountain resort on Thursday.
To this proposal, Seoul said it would present its position later after internally deliberating on it.
Last week, Seoul’s Red Cross proposed a meeting with its North Korean counterpart this Friday at the Peace House on the South’s side of the truce village to “consult on humanitarian issues such as family reunions around the Chuseok”.
Family reunions have not been held since October 2010 as inter-Korean ties deteriorated due to a series of North Korean provocations including its artillery shelling of Yeonpyeongdo Island in November 2010 that killed two marines and two civilians.
Seoul has recently focused on the humanitarian aspect of the separated families issue as many of them have died of old age. Of the survivors, 9.3 per cent were aged over 90, 40.5 per cent were in their 80s, 30.6 per cent in their 70s and 11.4 per cent in their 60s.
According to the Unification Ministry, only 72,882 of the 128,842 South Koreans registered since 1988 remain alive as of July 31, meaning that some 2,000 have died each year.
The Mount Geumgang tours have been suspended since a South Korean tourist was shot dead by a North Korean soldier there for allegedly trespassing into a restricted area in July 2008. Following the suspension of the tours to the mountain, tours to Gaeseong have also been stalled.
The North has repeatedly called for the resumption of the tours, but the South has maintained that tours will not resume until the North provides a clear explanation for the shooting and guarantees full-scale safety measures for tourists in the future.
The North is said to have raked in US$1.5 million in 2006 and $2 million in 2007 through the Geumgang tour programme. Under deepening international isolation stemming from its nuclear and missile program, Pyongyang has been in desperate need of outside financial sources.