ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
New search zone for missing MH370
Publication Date : 21-06-2014
The new search zone for the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 is expected to be announced within the next two weeks, said defence minister Hishammuddin Hussein.
He said this followed new analysis of the plane’s flight path.
“We can expect it to be announced in one or two weeks’ time.
“Once the new search zone is confirmed, we will deploy our assets to assist in the search,” he told newsmen after attending a briefing on the preparation for the official opening of KLIA2 here yesterday.
The assets are the Prosas deep-tow synthetic sonar system and Remora remotely operated vehicle – the cost would be borne by Petronas and DRB-Hicom Defence Technologies Sdn Bhd (Deftech) – and multi-beam echo sounder and sub bottom profiler provided by SapuraKencana.
Hishammuddin, who is the acting transport minister, said that the bathymetric (ocean floor) survey was still being carried out by Dutch survey ship Fugro Equator and would soon be joined by Chinese vessel Zhu Kezhen.
“The search remains in the southern corridor because all leads that we have pointed to that area.
“We have to continue with the lead because the best lead we have is based on the handshake on the Inmarsat (satellite data) and still in the southern corridor,” he said.
On KLIA2, Hishammuddin said he was satisfied that the low-cost carrier terminal had been well-received by the public and airline companies since its opening on May 2.
“However, I have instructed the authorities to monitor the runway, taxiway and apron for sinking soil,” he said.
KLIA2 will be officially opened on Tuesday by Prime Minister Najib Razak.