ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
M'sia still safe despite shooting cases, says police chief
Publication Date : 06-08-2013
The spate of shooting cases does not make Malaysia an unsafe country, said Malaysia's Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar.
“I would like to urge Malaysians to put their trust in the police force to solve these cases. Certain people have taken the opportunity to blame us and make us the scapegoat.
“It may look like there are a lot of firearms in the country but let us monitor and take the appropriate action,” he told reporters after paying a courtesy call to Kedah state chief Mukhriz Mahathir at the state government headquarters, Wisma Darulaman, on Monday.
Khlaid said the police had a number of leads, and the task force had identified the shooter in Arab Malaysian Banking Group founder Hussain Ahmad Najadi’s murder and also in other shooting cases.
He, however, declined to reveal the details of the case as investigations were pending.
He added that the police were not dealing with a mad man on a shooting spree as each shooting and murder case had its own background and fact.
Khalid also said police would be taking take over the army’s border patrol duties after Ramadan celebrations.
He added that the patrol duties, known as "Ops Wawasan" would allow the police to keep tabs on cross border criminal activities such as human and weapons trafficking.
Mukhriz said the state government would fully support the police’s efforts to keep peace in the country.
He added that the state also supports the use of Automated Enforcement System (AES) cameras to monitor the traffic situation.
Mukhriz said the AES would help the police to identify reckless drivers and prevent accident cases especially during the festive period when many would travel back to their hometowns.
He said motorists needed to change their attitudes or face harsher punitive measures under the “total enforcement” by traffic police.
“They need to adhere to the road rules and follow the speed limit,” he said.
On road safety, Khalid said although there had been a drop in fatal accidents during the first three days of the Ops Selamat, 53 deaths was still unacceptable.
He said motorcyclists, who make up a majority of the fatalities, needed to be extra careful on the road.
Federal traffic chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Abdul Aziz Yusof urged motorists to be tolerant when travelling, especially during the holiday season.
“Make sure your vehicles are properly maintained and always follow the road rules. We do not want any motorist to become a statistic,” he said.
Separately, on crime, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Mohd Bakri Zinin called on the public to support and trust the police instead of being negative towards the force.