ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Moro leader, 63 others charged in south Philippines siege
Publication Date : 09-10-2013
The Philippines' Department of Justice has filed rebellion charges against Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founder Nur Misuari, commander Habier Malik and others involved in the Zamboanga City siege, Radyo Inquirer 990AM said Wednesday.
Other media reports, citing Justice Secretary Leila De Lima, said 63 others were named respondents for violating the International Humanitarian Law. The cases were filed at the Zamboanga Regional Trial Court on Monday.
Almost a week ago, the Zamboanga City police filed similar charges of rebellion and crimes against humanity against Misuari and 82 others allegedly involved in the three-week armed conflict in the city that left more than 200 people dead and thousands displaced.
A warrant of arrest was served in Misuari’s residence two days later but police failed to find the MNLF leader.
Since last month, De Lima said the government has been preparing rebellion charges against the Misuari, who has yet to surface or issue a statement.
“There are many who have been charged, by batches. Our prosecutors have conducted inquests. Those who surrendered go straight to inquest,” De Lima said at the time.
“But those who are not in Zamboanga anymore, or those who are still there will be charged, including Misuari and other commanders,” she said.
Under Article 134 and 135 of the Revised Penal Code, Misuari could be charged with rebellion by virtue of command responsibility.
With report from Ruel Perez, Radyo Inquirer 990AM