ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER

» News

MH370 SEARCH: No reports of phone calls from passengers or crew members

Publication Date : 13-04-2014

 

There are no reports of phone calls made during the flight from any passengers or crew of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, said Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman.

Azharuddin said there were no reports of calls made by the passengers or crew members of the flight after the plane went missing from the radar, including by co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid.

Azharuddin added that any information of phone calls from passengers or crew members were not verified by DCA.

A local daily yesterday reported that a crew member of the flight made a call from his mobile phone after it went missing on March 8.

The daily quoted sources saying that the investigation traced the call to Fariq’s phone but could not name who the co-pilot was trying to contact, likely because the aircraft was fast moving away from the tower and had not come under the coverage of the next one.

The report also quoted another unnamed source saying that Fariq’s phone showed that connection to the phone had been “detached” before the plane took off but the line was reattached when the airplane was airborne, between waypoint Igari and the spot near Penang, the last it was seen on radar.

The report said, however, that the reattachment did not necessa­rily mean that a call was made as it could also be the result of the phone being switched on again.

In Kluang, Acting Transport Minis­ter Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said the Government had not received any reports on the matter.

“If truly such a call was made and traced, then we would have known from the early stages of investigations,” he said after a prayer session for Flight MH370 at the Nurul Iman Mosque at Taman Seri Lambak in Kluang yesterday.

 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube