ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
Ex-Maldivian president takes refuge at Indian High Commission
Publication Date : 14-02-2013
Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed yesterday sought refuge in the Indian High Commission in Male, where he went immediately after a Maldivian court issued an arrest warrant against him.
“He has sought refuge in the mission,” official sources said in New Delhi. After this development, senior officials, including the National Security adviser and the Foreign Secretary got into a series of meetings to discuss the issue. Nasheed also tweeted, “Mindful of my own security and stability in the Indian Ocean, I have taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Maldives.”
According to Indian officials, the former Maldivian president had sought a meeting with High Commissioner D M Mulay, who flew back to Maldives early yesterday morning from Delhi.
The arrest warrant was issued against Nasheed by a Maldivian court after he did not turn up for his previously scheduled trial hearing at the Hulhumale' Magistrate Court on February 10 in the case regarding detention of Chief Judge of the Criminal Court, Judge Abdulla Mohamed, in January 2012.
With the Maldivian High Court rejecting Nasheed’s application for a stay on the arrest warrant, the former President stayed put in the High Commission, which is now surrounded by anti-riot police and police barricades.
However, Maldivian President Mohammed Waheed's official spokesperson Imad Massod told PTI that the forces will not enter the Indian mission.
“Nasheed was summoned to the court on Sunday but he did not go. The court last night issued an order to police to bring him to the court under arrest. Currently he is in the Indian High Commission. Police are waiting for him to come out. They will not enter the High Commission premises,” he said.
Nasheed's colleagues at the Maldivian Democratic Party met to decide on the future course of action.
The former president was earlier on a visit to India after being granted permission to depart the country by the court. Despite his permitted travel period expiring on February 9, Nasheed returned to Male on February 11, Minivan News reported.
Nasheed stepped down as president of the Maldives in February last year after months of protests following the judge's arrest. He has said he was forced out in a military coup.