ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER



» News

Another child abuse case reported in Indonesia

Publication Date : 06-05-2014

 

 Another child sexual abuse case was unearthed in Indonesia, this time in Sumedang, West Java, where food-stall owner Endang Juhana,

alias Abah Aman, 61, was arrested by police on Sunday for allegedly molesting schoolchildren.

Sumedang Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Yuli Kurniawan said the suspect had his stall located just 20 meters from an elementary school in Licin village, Cimalaka district, Sumedang.

“Many children like to buy snacks and drinks at the stall,” Yuli said by phone on Monday.

According to Yuli, the case came to light when a parent of one of the victims filed a report with the police on May 1. The victim told his parents that Endang had pulled down his pants and stripped the boy naked on April 24.

Although only the parents of one victim have filed a police report, Yuli said his team had received data that at least nine other children had been molested by Endang, who has a wife, children and grandchildren.

The victims are between 6 and 8 years old.

“The victims are five boys and four girls. The other parents have yet to file a report, probably out of shame, but that’s what we have gathered from the field,” said Yuli.

He went on to say that parents and school authorities had known about the molestation for some time.

“The perpetrator had been told not to repeat deviant acts, as he often held, groped, hugged and kissed the elementary school pupils in his stall,” said Yuli, adding the suspect admitted he had never sodomised any of the children.

Yuli said, according to the suspect’s confession, he allowed the children to eat and drink at his stall without paying. He also told the children not to tell anybody about the acts.

“We are further building the case,” said Yuli.

Police will charge Endang with violating the Child Protection Law, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison and a maximum fine of 300 million rupiah (US$26,041).

Separately, in Sukabumi, West Java, the investigation into child sex abuse committed by suspect Andri Sobari, alias Emon, entered its fourth day, with investigators revealing 16 more children had allegedly been abused, bringing the total number of victims to 89 children.

“Today, the parents of 16 victims have filed reports against Emon with the police. All of the victims have been medically examined and inspected by the police,”

Sukabumi City Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Hari Santoso told Antara news agency on Monday.

According to Hari, the parents of the victims voluntarily filed reports alleging sexual abuse committed by Emon. Most of the victims are between 8 and 11 years old.

None of them have been diagnosed with sexually transmitted diseases, but police will continue investigating all cases.

Medical examinations on Monday revealed seven of the children had suffered injury to their anus, with one seriously injured and still discharging blood.

“The most important thing now is how to relieve the trauma suffered by the children and find out Emon’s other victims. The number of victims may likely increase because many parents of victims have yet to file a report,” added Hari.

Earlier, the local government pledged to provide a special shelter for the victims to get medical and psychological help.

 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube