ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER



» News

After 17 years of negotiations, Bangsamoro peace pact signed

Publication Date : 27-03-2014

 

Finally, the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) was signed at the Presidential Palace on Thursday.

More than a thousand people filled the expansive tent set up on Malacañang grounds while hundreds of Muslim groups gathered in Quiapo in anticipation of the historic event.

The signing of the CAB marks the culmination of the 17 years of peace negotiations between the two parties and the supposed end to decades of armed conflict in Mindanao.

It will pave the way for a new Bangsamoro autonomous political entity that will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and will address various issues in the area such as poverty.

Earlier in the ceremony, Secretary Teresita Quintos Deles, presidential adviser on the peace process, declared that declare that there will be “no more war” with the signing of the deal.

“No more war, no more children scampering for safety, no more evacuees…no more poverty, no more fear…Tama na (Enough), we are all tired of them,” she said during her speech at the Malacanang grounds.

Deles said the “new dawn” after the signing of the historic agreement will ensure that “no family will be forced to drive their children away for fear of being maimed or wounded by conflict.”

During the event, attended by foreign dignitaries, the Secretary thanked all those who made the signing possible, especially President Benigno Aquino III.

“Our common intentions will drive us forward,” she told the audience at included almost 500 members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.


 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube