ASIA NEWS NETWORK

WE KNOW ASIA BETTER

» News

19 Pakistan federal reserve military force men told to appear before police

Publication Date : 30-11-2013

 

Nineteen personnel of a law-enforcement agency who had allegedly taken away 35 detainees were directed by the Supreme Court on Friday to appear before the Balochistan police authorities investigating their disappearance.

A four-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry hearing the cases of the missing persons at the Karachi registry of the court expressed annoyance over the absence of the inspector general of Frontier Corps (FC) Balochistan who had been ordered to appear before the court.

FC is a federal reserve military force under the command of the paramilitary command of Pakistan, recruited mostly from the tribal areas along the western borders and led by general officers of the Pakistan Army.

Attorney General Munir A. Malik said the FC chief did not appear because he could not be informed about the court order.

But the chief justice remarked that he had been deliberately avoiding the proceedings because there was credible evidence to establish that the FC personnel were involved in the enforced disappearances.

The court recalled that despite repeated orders, responsible FC officials, including Brig Aurangzeb, Col Naeem and Major Tahir, had not appeared before it.

The chief justice said that a judicial inquiry in a missing person case concluded that FC personnel had picked up Abdul Malik.

“Don’t try to hush up the matter. Those involved will have to be produced for investigation into the matter,” he snapped when the attorney general

said the officers named had been repatriated to the army.

The chief justice asked the AG who should be issued contempt notice for not complying with the court’s orders.

The court directed the authorities to ensure the presence of all nominated FC personnel before the DIG of Special Branch, Balochistan, on Sunday for interrogation.

It also directed the Sindh police chief to provide security to the families and relatives of missing persons who had marched to Karachi from Quetta.

The hearing was adjourned to December 3.

 

 

Mobile Apps Newsletters ANN on You Tube