ASIA NEWS NETWORK
WE KNOW ASIA BETTER
1.7m blacklisted drivers in M'sia to face licence suspension
Publication Date : 22-08-2013
Police will take stern action against 1.7 million blacklisted drivers in Malaysia, who failed to settle their traffic summonses under Ops Warta.
Ops Warta is a yearly nationwide operation which was launched in 2006, to catch vehicle owners who fail to pay up summonses.
Malaysia's Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said he was not satisfied with the recent Ops Selamat (operation to increase road safety and reduce accidents among those travelling back to their hometowns during the festive season) during the Eid celebration period, and he believes the attitude of motorists has not changed.
He announced that the police are working with the Road Transport Department to suspend the licences of blacklisted motorists, starting with motorcyclists and drivers of commercial vehicles.
“We will implement total enforcement within this month.
“Those who are blacklisted are advised to settle their summonses as soon as possible,” he told a press conference after presenting certificates of appreciation to 50 good drivers on Wednesday.
Khalid said the result of 15-day Ops Selamat was not satisfying, as the number of fatal accidents spiked from 228 previously to 258 cases.
“The number of deaths (from accidents) also recorded an increase of 49 cases to 292 cases compared to the previous Ops Selamat where 243 deaths were recorded.
“It shows a more aggressive enforcement action is needed to change the attitude of motorists,” he said.